"She's got a hot bottom."
While researching for a short paper regarding the avant-garde classics Un Chien Andalou and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (for my film 1 class), I came upon this interesting link about Surrealism and the Surrealists of the Surrealist movement. (Sorry, I felt like using the word Surreal and/or its various forms three times in one sentence.) You'd pick out some brilliant bits in that article that you may agree and about, and find some things that you don't. (I especially found the Mona Lisa part amusing btw. Indeed, putting a mustache on Mona Lisa, from a certain other perspective, just goes to show that Mona Lisa is female. And I seemed to have forgotten how to use pronouns in this paragraph.)
All of us in the class were extremely baffled as to what the fuck Un Chien Andalou is about and why it seems to be about weird out of this world things (ants coming out from a man's hand, an eyeball being slashed, a lady being obsessed with a severed hand, etc.), maniac sex obsession, and sex itself. Only after reading on the movie's background did I find out that it is exactly that. Given it's surreal nature it would be confusing to the unfamiliar and should seem like watching the thoughts of another man, of a Surrealist, to be exact.
This reaction towards the movie brings me to how it's fun to watch a movie without reading any reviews about it yet. Reviews do have a way of giving you expectations and incorporating certain opinions in you about the movie even though you haven't watched it yet. Sometimes we tend to overlook the good points of the movie because we're too preoccupied with it's inadequacies. (Although I do not say that this eliminates the possibility or the fact that really bad movies exist, albeit subjectively.)
All of us in the class were extremely baffled as to what the fuck Un Chien Andalou is about and why it seems to be about weird out of this world things (ants coming out from a man's hand, an eyeball being slashed, a lady being obsessed with a severed hand, etc.), maniac sex obsession, and sex itself. Only after reading on the movie's background did I find out that it is exactly that. Given it's surreal nature it would be confusing to the unfamiliar and should seem like watching the thoughts of another man, of a Surrealist, to be exact.
This reaction towards the movie brings me to how it's fun to watch a movie without reading any reviews about it yet. Reviews do have a way of giving you expectations and incorporating certain opinions in you about the movie even though you haven't watched it yet. Sometimes we tend to overlook the good points of the movie because we're too preoccupied with it's inadequacies. (Although I do not say that this eliminates the possibility or the fact that really bad movies exist, albeit subjectively.)
2 Comments:
you've got film 1? i thought it starts with film 10 hehe.
anyways, "that's hot" hehe.
that was film 10. typo. :p
Post a Comment
<< Home