10.29.2005

Donnie Darko, baybeh

Donnie Darko is an awesome movie. Even though there are missing keys in the movie (like some more missing info about time travel) you'd skip that because of the wicked story. There are a number of loose ends and they're all intentional, I think it's Richard Kelly's (director and writer) style because he does the same to his in post-production movie, Southland Tales.

I can't seem to start to describe Donnie Darko, it's something you have to watch. It's a mindfuck of a movie so it'd probably take you a number of times or a few googling before you understand fully. Although if you play with time travel ideas in your spare time, this would be a sweet piece of cake, just add in divinity and physical manifestation of that time travelling in our material world.

Let me just put it this way. Jet engine falls into Donnie's room but nobody has an explanation for it, thus it came from the future through a corruption in space-time. This corruption opens up the Tangent Universe, which will only take weeks before it falls down on the Primary Universe and creates a black hole on it. And Donnie is called on to save the universe by a man in a bunny-suit named Frank. Donnie has a serious case of sleepwalking (rare sonumbulist disorder because it's major sleepwalking) and this time Frank leads him to a golf course somewhere in order to save him from said jet engine. So now Donnie does what Franks tell him because he wants to find out how the hell he can send the fucking jet engine to where it belongs.

Blablabla. THe Philosophy of Time Travel. Looping back to the past. Etc. It ends with Donnie laughing in the end and going to sleep, back right before the jet engine falls on him.

I didn't say everything that happened, of course, so you should watch it. Problem is I haven't been able to find a copy of the dang movie anywhere here in the Philippines so you might have to go Limewire and pirate it even if it's such a wicked movie. (And then you can continue searching for an original copy eh?)

This movie is a bit like a collage of different stuff with time travel as an issue that surfaces slightly above the rest along with Donnie's psychoness. I think some stuff should have been built up more in order to explain things better but I think the director wants it that way, to have it more open to interpretation.

And of course Jake Gyllenhaal is in this movie. (Cue: Fangirl cheers.) And weirdly Drew Barrymore is in it too.

What else are you waiting for? Watch it now. I shall leave you with the rather depressing song from the end of the movie, Gary Jule's Mad World. (Copy pasted from LyricsMania.com)

Verse 1
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, Going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, No expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, No tomorrow

Chorus
And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
These dreams in which i'm dying, Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad World, Mad World

Verse 2
Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
And they feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, Sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, No one knew me
Hello teacher tell me whats my lesson
Look right through me, Look right through me

Chorus
And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
These dreams in which i'm dying, Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad World, Mad World

Enlargen your world

Mad World

I think this song is perfect for the ending and for Donnie.

And as for that damned ending. I think it didn't have to happen. And for some reason somebody had this extremely weird thought or was just too tired from it all and happy that he's back to where everything started (after all he's a rational mind and didn't believe in all the things he ended up believing in order to time travel and "save the universe") that he just *forgot*, so whatever happened in the happened, happened. Oh you know. haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

you have only an essence

AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

a sense of rootlessness

Powered by Blogger