Now this is pseudo-intellectual, not that one
Before Ayisse and a team of other HP fans more devoted than me curse me to my death, I would like to say that, for me, Half-Blood Prince has the best imagery yet. Despite what I suppose were necessary casualties in the new HP installment, it did not, in any way diminish JK Rowling's writing capacity. (To even think it possible is ridiculous, actually.) Every emotion (from fear to hormone-driven giddyness), vibe and environment is successfully created with words.
I was merely stating my disappointment, as readers usually do when they start getting assimilated into a book, about how it's kind of lame, how it feels lame, how it seems lame that another so beloved character dies in the book - and someone very unlikely to die in that case. I was looking at it as a mere audience and reader, with an evaluating calibre way below sea level compared to that of a critic. The whole take in my previous post was more right-brained, if you ask me.
In relation to the hugely unexpected death of our VIP, all I can say is, meh, the element of surprise is necessary in writing. We all know anyway how JK Rowling said she didn't want to kill Sirius Black's character in the 5th book as well but in order for the story to carry on, she had to. (If you read Wheel Of Time, Robert Jordan spoke of killing Moraine early in the series to keep the element of surprise and mystery - since so many fans were drawing the conclusion of Moraine living until the end of the series to be Rand's guardian like how Zed is to the main character in Sword of Truth.) Of course, being a frustrated scriptwriter and film maker, I am pretty familiar with this thing we call storybuilding.
(Oh man, how much more depressing can life get for Harry Potter? Next thing we know Hermione is saying her parting words as she falls dying in book 7. Just kidding. Hope it doesn't happen.)
So yeah, there, conclusion: I was merely feeling for the story and clearly not meant for that post to become a proper critique. I mean, come on, it isn't one. I was afraid this would happen if people rushed in and didn't take into consideration some other elements. So much for sarcasm, kidding, and not trying to spoonfeed readers.
I'm no longer writing a full blown review of the book. All I can say is, it might suck that **$#*Fuj3(/=d^%4#*+ dies or that part of it is hormone-driven again (I still cringe at the mental image of Draco lying on Pansy's lap as she strokes his hair) but it's a good read. It's darker than book 5, like how book 3 is. I just don't want to over-praise the book since I would feel like I'm sensationalizing it. I have come to realize that I've read books better than this one (not that I'm saying this one, hp5, is not very good and that I'm not enjoying it - I am, of course.)
On another note, I was really about to tell of how I am promoting myself to Queen of Free Stuff. For some reason, I always get free lunched from other families. I have obtained two free lunches this past week (Dixi's treat to Chef d'Angelo and Faye's family treat to Max's), a few lovely polka-dotted umbrellas, a couple of stuff from Indio, free shoes and a pair of jeans. However, I have to pay around P800 worth of internet usage on PLDT Vibe.
PS:
To all how who thought the previous post sounded "intellectually biting," please raise your hand. I'm doing a survey here. hehe (I thought it didn't and I meant it not to be so because it was just a crazy, early morning rant while talking to people on IM.) We've already got one hand raised in favor of YES, courtesy of Ayisse.
I was merely stating my disappointment, as readers usually do when they start getting assimilated into a book, about how it's kind of lame, how it feels lame, how it seems lame that another so beloved character dies in the book - and someone very unlikely to die in that case. I was looking at it as a mere audience and reader, with an evaluating calibre way below sea level compared to that of a critic. The whole take in my previous post was more right-brained, if you ask me.
In relation to the hugely unexpected death of our VIP, all I can say is, meh, the element of surprise is necessary in writing. We all know anyway how JK Rowling said she didn't want to kill Sirius Black's character in the 5th book as well but in order for the story to carry on, she had to. (If you read Wheel Of Time, Robert Jordan spoke of killing Moraine early in the series to keep the element of surprise and mystery - since so many fans were drawing the conclusion of Moraine living until the end of the series to be Rand's guardian like how Zed is to the main character in Sword of Truth.) Of course, being a frustrated scriptwriter and film maker, I am pretty familiar with this thing we call storybuilding.
(Oh man, how much more depressing can life get for Harry Potter? Next thing we know Hermione is saying her parting words as she falls dying in book 7. Just kidding. Hope it doesn't happen.)
So yeah, there, conclusion: I was merely feeling for the story and clearly not meant for that post to become a proper critique. I mean, come on, it isn't one. I was afraid this would happen if people rushed in and didn't take into consideration some other elements. So much for sarcasm, kidding, and not trying to spoonfeed readers.
I'm no longer writing a full blown review of the book. All I can say is, it might suck that **$#*Fuj3(/=d^%4#*+ dies or that part of it is hormone-driven again (I still cringe at the mental image of Draco lying on Pansy's lap as she strokes his hair) but it's a good read. It's darker than book 5, like how book 3 is. I just don't want to over-praise the book since I would feel like I'm sensationalizing it. I have come to realize that I've read books better than this one (not that I'm saying this one, hp5, is not very good and that I'm not enjoying it - I am, of course.)
On another note, I was really about to tell of how I am promoting myself to Queen of Free Stuff. For some reason, I always get free lunched from other families. I have obtained two free lunches this past week (Dixi's treat to Chef d'Angelo and Faye's family treat to Max's), a few lovely polka-dotted umbrellas, a couple of stuff from Indio, free shoes and a pair of jeans. However, I have to pay around P800 worth of internet usage on PLDT Vibe.
PS:
To all how who thought the previous post sounded "intellectually biting," please raise your hand. I'm doing a survey here. hehe (I thought it didn't and I meant it not to be so because it was just a crazy, early morning rant while talking to people on IM.) We've already got one hand raised in favor of YES, courtesy of Ayisse.
4 Comments:
mabuhay ang reyna ng kalibrehan! :D
walang mention tungkol sa CAM ah... bakit kaya?
Kasi may kras ako dun. Hahaha Joke lang.
what..what UP talk is this? haha
Ahahaha. CAM = cinema as art movement
Post a Comment
<< Home