Just Finished Reading The Vigin Suicides
We couldn't imagine the emptiness of a creature who put a razor to her wrists and opened her veins, the emptiness and the calm.
-The Virgin Suicides
This is not as long as the other casual "book reviews" I've made. I just want to say that the book's definitely narrative... which makes it a good movie, I guess. I really want to watch this more than read it (hehehe) but meh, didn't have anything to do so I read it. And here's a bit of what I thought...
I realized how the root of some suicides seem to be easily found - pressure, family problems, wanting out, etc. But for some reason, no matter how much I rack my brain, I can't figure out how the Lisbon sisters came to commit suicide in The Virgin Suicides. And I realized that this is how it is with most suicides - we aren't really sure why the fuck they kill themselves, unless a suicide note is left, in which case there is still some truth to it deeply hidden among many other things or hidden by nothingness.
A quote from the book:
"The essence of the suicides consisted not of sadness or mystery but simple selfishness. The girls took into their own hands decisions better left to God. They became too powerful to live among us, too self-concerned, too visionary, too blind. What lingered after them was not life, which always overcomes natural death, but the most trivial list of mundane facts: a clock ticking on a wall, a room dim at noon, and the outrageousness of a human being thinking only of herself."
-The Virgin Suicides
This is not as long as the other casual "book reviews" I've made. I just want to say that the book's definitely narrative... which makes it a good movie, I guess. I really want to watch this more than read it (hehehe) but meh, didn't have anything to do so I read it. And here's a bit of what I thought...
I realized how the root of some suicides seem to be easily found - pressure, family problems, wanting out, etc. But for some reason, no matter how much I rack my brain, I can't figure out how the Lisbon sisters came to commit suicide in The Virgin Suicides. And I realized that this is how it is with most suicides - we aren't really sure why the fuck they kill themselves, unless a suicide note is left, in which case there is still some truth to it deeply hidden among many other things or hidden by nothingness.
A quote from the book:
"The essence of the suicides consisted not of sadness or mystery but simple selfishness. The girls took into their own hands decisions better left to God. They became too powerful to live among us, too self-concerned, too visionary, too blind. What lingered after them was not life, which always overcomes natural death, but the most trivial list of mundane facts: a clock ticking on a wall, a room dim at noon, and the outrageousness of a human being thinking only of herself."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home