3.06.2005

Lying Priests (and a Dalai Lama quote)

I did not fully comprehend when a priest said during mass, "Tao din kaming mga pari, minsan mas makasalanan pa kami sa inyo." (We priests are also humans, sometimes we even sin more than you do.) I used to wonder, how is that possible? Aren't they supposed to be on top of those who worship God and adhere to the doctrine?

Now I understand; I have witnessed a priest lie first hand, putting out family at risk in an issue with out slave-driving, social-climbing, opressive neighbor. It's like learning for the first time that some Tibetan monks "employed the services" of young boys (as young as 8 years old or younger) as sexual partners/servants (translation: HOMOsexual harassment.) It's another one of those welcome slaps screaming, this is life biatch, no system is perfect!

Now I'm thinking how silly it is for SOME priests to say they don't sin and they're so holy and we should be damned for being sinful mortals and all (yes, those priests exist). I am now less trusting.

How am I to make sure of the integrity of every priest's words now? Actually, one can never be too sure because it's not they're fault that they're human. The hipocrisy some of them show is just, not really disgusting but, something I look down on. It's like, they tell you not to sin because it's bad. But they sin too. I know that in this case you just have to trust your instinct. In everything, it all comes down to what you think. I should just understand that we are all human. And I do understand that. However, I just have a problem with hipocrisy in priests and the fact that they have been glorified so much in stories and by standards set by our society.

Which leads me to confession. I never got the whole point of confession. I told that during a group talk we had during our 3rd year retreat. What is the point of confessing to a human medium when you can do it directly through your connection with God, or whichever superior being you believe in?

And homilies. I've always thought homilies are like reading comprehension sessions in grade school. The priest explains the significance of the gospel, adds in a little bit of his opinion, relates it to current issues or plain deviates away from the topic at hand (which is annoying in that case). It might sound stuck up or whatever of me but, homilies remind me of self-help books. I never took self-help books seriously because I know how to diagnose my self and I basically can come up with what these books say anyway. I guess I'm just aware and unbiased with myself. I know when I'm becoming the Witch in the Wardrobe or when I'm becoming an unreasonably humble masked git.

Sometimes I just snicker to myself, when priests give advices on life and etcetera they sound like the life coaches in Starting Over. Although I admit, priests serve as spiritual guides as well. I've no problem with that because I am aware that some people need guidance and can't come up with these bits of wisdom by themselves. And that leads me to the conclusion of how humanity has grown dependent on religion and theocratic dictates (at least the part of humanity that believes in a higher being ;)). It has become a social norm.

Some Church people don't admit that they make mistakes. However, some do. That's why I was glad to hear that during the intentions part of the mass it was mentioned to "please guide spiritual leaders so that they may carry out their respective missions properly."

I know... Religions are probably messed up and a mix of positive and negative (but good and bad are relative, rememeber) because humans play a large role. It is not a 100% spiritual, unexplained, based-on-what-you-feel deal. Part of religion, the rules, etc., are determined by humans, just like us (only the vowed to celibacy... or so they say hehe sorry can't help dropping that in). I mean, hello? Who came up with the date for Jesus' birth and how Jesus should look like? Humans did. (I don't believe by the way that Jesus's eyes are blue and that his hair is long... read the Scientific American article on reconstructing how Jesus should've looked like given the period he lived in and clues from the bible.)

So... this leads to a conclusion that perhaps, religion won't be as conflicting as it is if it were in its purest form. And that's kind of what spirituality is.

By the way, about the humans having a hand in the whole religion game, I think it's inevitable because we eventually feel the need to arrange some things for the "good of the majority." It's like appointing priests. Somebody needs to lead an herd of sheeps, even though the only choice is a wolf; or somebody to lead a pack of wolves, even it has to be a sheep. GOing back to what I mentioned previously, "This is life biatch, no system is perfect." That is what exactly some religions have come to be, systems. Just like pila-bago-sakay jeepney systems. Only with a different purpose.

I hope you guys don't hate me for posting this. It's basically what I think. And I tried to balance it. If you think it purely one-sided then read it again. We can't go on blaming other people for our defective sight. I am not trying to recruit other people to my side of the coin too. So don't blame me if this helped deteriorate your faith. hahaha (I believe by the way in what you can refer to as religion its purest form more than religion in its Vatican-dictated form. I know. I've mentioned that a million times here already. Just so I can clear atheist-accusations that I see coming my way.)

I hate myself for posting something a wee bit related to religion. They don't make very good topics. heh

--------------

I would just like to share another inspiring thing from the (14th) Dalai Lama. This is from a National Geographic April 2002 article by Lewis Simons:

I told him to about the new breed of entrepreneurs I met in Tibet and asked what he thought of their effort to rebuild temples and stupas. I expected him to endorse their efforts. Surprisingly, he did not.

"I wish those wealthy Tibetans would spend their money on schools and clinics and on living Buddhism better," he said. "Certainly these people have a very important role in the preservation of TIbetan culture. But when I think of culture, I think of internal things, like the quality of the mind, honesty, compassion, peacefulness. These are the qualities of our culture."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a firm believer of God. However, I have to agree with some of the points you've mentioned in your post. I have qualms about some of the church teachings, and I am seriously doubting religion as a whole.

Somehow, religion actually hinders a person into having strong faith with the Lord. People seem discouraged and lose their faith in God when they encounter such "lying priests" and other blasphemous spiritual leaders. They suddenly don't believe in God anymore just because they don't agree with some church teachings. But that is just downright wrong. We should never ever see God and religion as one and the same institution. It's like treating a Hollywood idol and his fan base as one. It should never be that way. I should know. I am now in a silent battle with myself and with some religious org I belong to.. I don't now if I approve of some of the org's rules, but that does not mean that I am losing my reverence in God at all. The more that my grip is getting tighter because I know that I am all alone in this battle. I mean, you wouldn't stop eating at McDonald's just because you hate one particular food in their menu, right? It's the same thing with religion and God. (Did I make sense?)

Which is why I've come to the conclusion that I would only listen to what my conscience is telling me. Why do I have to confine to such irrelevant religious teachings and traditions? I know for a fact that I have a close personal connection with the Lord and I don't need people to tell me how I should go about with my relationship with Him. As long as I am doing what I think and feel is right irregardless of religious beliefs and tradition, then I would do just fine. Trust no one but my ability to judge and choose right from wrong. That's the principle I intend to keep.

Heh. Malabo ba?

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Religion is never a good topic. It's all a gray area. So for me, all the lounging around and going in circles just center on one thing: faith. Yes, mighty conclusive of me, but it's true. Whteher you believe on the absolute holiness of the celibate or you have resorted to atheistic ideals, one way or another, you have faith. And that's what's mosst important. It's a natural instinct for man to have faith in a belief. Belief that the universe is ruled by randomness requires faith, just as belief that confession will wash your soul clean requires faith.
Oh and a deteriorating faith does not exist either. When you have refused to believe in religion, you are believing in its anti-climax, which, yes, requires faith as well.
And yes again, I am going nowhere with this except to say that I don't believe in religious blubber (and took it upon myself to not care less and BE COOL). lol just kidding..But you know, I just needed to say what I thought.

Annnd, homilies are a priest's blog. A way to share to us what they thought.

Ohhh and..I really don't know what you mean by your side of the coin..I don't get the uniting idea...Excuse my overworked brain hehe..

9:05 PM  
Blogger Byeong said...

Yeah. Hehe

That reminds me what side I am on haha. There's no side. Basically I was just referring to my take on whatever the hell the issue here is. (I'm thinking it's about priests and how righteous they are. And that the Vatican Council is not always right. Well, relatively, they are right. But that's relative.)

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

you have only an essence

AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

a sense of rootlessness

Powered by Blogger