The coffeeshop within a play
I'm just sitting here, listening to stuff, and well, waiting for it to be Tuesday so I can watch American Idol. And I have this one other reaction paper due tomorrow that I haven't done yet. It only needs to be at least a page long in double space but I'm slacking off. (It only took me to write the other one 20 minutes but you know... Ack. I don't want to start it. I'll write a blog post first.)
So this week I watched Jarhead. Holy hell, Jake was too sexy. I think I drooled the most in the cinema. The movie was fucking funny too and Ayisse, Remika, and I laughed the most in the theater, like there were actually parts in which we were the only ones laughing/making noise. I just realized after the movie that we had quite a number of old people sitting in the row behind us. Sorry grans I kept on squeeing hahaha.
And then yesterday gran and I watched Underworld for our weekly movie day out. Kate Beckinsale was hot. I don't really dig the whole vampires thing but it was a good movie. I was pretty squirmy with that lalaland scene Kate and the werewolf kiddo had. Cos it kept on popping in my mind that Kate has a kid already. And maybe because I don't really like the werewold guy. Am I making sense? Well it's a pretty forgettable movie cos it's just Sunday and I feel like I've watched it a week ago or something.
Little Manhattan this Wednesday, I hope. I think I might be in for a - hey I'm listening to Richard Ashcroft's New York right now :D - load of crying or some.
(Ooof, Bittersweet Symphony just came on. I love this song like fook.)
Well Queer Eye For the Straight Guy UK replay awhile ago. I was pretty much laughing but the original is still better. Tristan was adorable though hahaha. And their carpenter guy for UK sounds so much like Thom only he looks blonde-hot or something.
Oh and last last week we watched this play, The Coffeeshop Within A Play written by Dr. Naohiko Umewaka, this Noh master. It's kind of a contemporary Noh. It was a fucking beautiful play. I'd give anything right now to be able to watch it again. It's fucking funny.
The presentation was nonlinear so we see this slave-driving lady directing a play. The play is about a guy (who, in "real" life has a speech defect and is retarded but suddenly becomes this equally slave driving director when he becomes in character... like his speech suddenly turns straight when he plays the director role) directing a play, which is about a girl (played by a dumb actress) directing a play. And then somewhere in the middle an older woman steps in, turns out she is directing this whole thing. So it's a director, directing a director, directing a director, directing a play. Pretty confusing but when you watch it, you don't even need 2 brain cells to get what is happening.
Well somewhere towards the end the two directors suddenly drift and walk away. And then slowly the guy with the speech defect goes away too but while all this drifting is happening, the dumb japanese girl is still acting and playing director on stage, trying to give directions to the two main characters of the supposed boy-meets-girl-in-coffeeshop play, wherein the man is played by a really clumsy actor who stutters.
And then, everything suddenly changes, the director suddenly turns into a customer, is offered coffee by the waitress, and the stuttering clumsy actor suddenly delivers his role suave and all like he's supposed to do. (And yes, the actor was gwapo hahaha.) Red lights come on, music comes on for the first time, the man lights a cigarette and the stage turns into a quaint cafe in Little Italy, New York. Like a scene out of some old-era movie. Fuck it was so beautiful I couldn't get enough of all the emotiveness in it.
And then the man finds out that the girl he asked out to dinner is actually on a wheelchair, but they leave nonetheless. And then the lights go dim. The stage is then filled with blue light, and the cigarette is still burning, Noh Master Umewaka does a little Noh performance in there and a Noh performance is projected on stage. And then, he leaves, and all the other actors and director from the coffeeshop enter the stage, dressed in white, and proceed to scatter and lie down on stage or slump themselves on chairs.
Everything was actually told in reverse, the coffeeshop burned and all of them died. And then they suddenly go back to life, blue lights still on and so, and it's just like a normal coffee shop scene, with all of them friendly and for once not yelling at each other trying to direct a play about a director directing a blablabla. (Which is the only time we see them interacting normally with each other since for the duration of the play, they were all playing actors in a play about a director directing a blablabla.)
It was beautiful. Beautiful. Watching those coffeeshop moments with the lone burning cigarette and its column of smoke and the stage bathing in blue light (and red light for the earlier scene) will remain to be one of the best moments of my life, like I don't even know why. I wanted to hug Monica, my socsci classmate last sem who I just chanced upon before we went in to watch, who was sitting beside me, and cry. Hahaha The play was such an experience I can't get enough of and I can't believe I just made a post about it now.
---
Shite I better start writing this short reaction paper and get my ass to bed because I still have a shoot around 10:30am tomorrow aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. And I'm attending the 8:30am Archaeo class so I can make it to that shoot.
So this week I watched Jarhead. Holy hell, Jake was too sexy. I think I drooled the most in the cinema. The movie was fucking funny too and Ayisse, Remika, and I laughed the most in the theater, like there were actually parts in which we were the only ones laughing/making noise. I just realized after the movie that we had quite a number of old people sitting in the row behind us. Sorry grans I kept on squeeing hahaha.
And then yesterday gran and I watched Underworld for our weekly movie day out. Kate Beckinsale was hot. I don't really dig the whole vampires thing but it was a good movie. I was pretty squirmy with that lalaland scene Kate and the werewolf kiddo had. Cos it kept on popping in my mind that Kate has a kid already. And maybe because I don't really like the werewold guy. Am I making sense? Well it's a pretty forgettable movie cos it's just Sunday and I feel like I've watched it a week ago or something.
Little Manhattan this Wednesday, I hope. I think I might be in for a - hey I'm listening to Richard Ashcroft's New York right now :D - load of crying or some.
(Ooof, Bittersweet Symphony just came on. I love this song like fook.)
Well Queer Eye For the Straight Guy UK replay awhile ago. I was pretty much laughing but the original is still better. Tristan was adorable though hahaha. And their carpenter guy for UK sounds so much like Thom only he looks blonde-hot or something.
Oh and last last week we watched this play, The Coffeeshop Within A Play written by Dr. Naohiko Umewaka, this Noh master. It's kind of a contemporary Noh. It was a fucking beautiful play. I'd give anything right now to be able to watch it again. It's fucking funny.
The presentation was nonlinear so we see this slave-driving lady directing a play. The play is about a guy (who, in "real" life has a speech defect and is retarded but suddenly becomes this equally slave driving director when he becomes in character... like his speech suddenly turns straight when he plays the director role) directing a play, which is about a girl (played by a dumb actress) directing a play. And then somewhere in the middle an older woman steps in, turns out she is directing this whole thing. So it's a director, directing a director, directing a director, directing a play. Pretty confusing but when you watch it, you don't even need 2 brain cells to get what is happening.
Well somewhere towards the end the two directors suddenly drift and walk away. And then slowly the guy with the speech defect goes away too but while all this drifting is happening, the dumb japanese girl is still acting and playing director on stage, trying to give directions to the two main characters of the supposed boy-meets-girl-in-coffeeshop play, wherein the man is played by a really clumsy actor who stutters.
And then, everything suddenly changes, the director suddenly turns into a customer, is offered coffee by the waitress, and the stuttering clumsy actor suddenly delivers his role suave and all like he's supposed to do. (And yes, the actor was gwapo hahaha.) Red lights come on, music comes on for the first time, the man lights a cigarette and the stage turns into a quaint cafe in Little Italy, New York. Like a scene out of some old-era movie. Fuck it was so beautiful I couldn't get enough of all the emotiveness in it.
And then the man finds out that the girl he asked out to dinner is actually on a wheelchair, but they leave nonetheless. And then the lights go dim. The stage is then filled with blue light, and the cigarette is still burning, Noh Master Umewaka does a little Noh performance in there and a Noh performance is projected on stage. And then, he leaves, and all the other actors and director from the coffeeshop enter the stage, dressed in white, and proceed to scatter and lie down on stage or slump themselves on chairs.
Everything was actually told in reverse, the coffeeshop burned and all of them died. And then they suddenly go back to life, blue lights still on and so, and it's just like a normal coffee shop scene, with all of them friendly and for once not yelling at each other trying to direct a play about a director directing a blablabla. (Which is the only time we see them interacting normally with each other since for the duration of the play, they were all playing actors in a play about a director directing a blablabla.)
It was beautiful. Beautiful. Watching those coffeeshop moments with the lone burning cigarette and its column of smoke and the stage bathing in blue light (and red light for the earlier scene) will remain to be one of the best moments of my life, like I don't even know why. I wanted to hug Monica, my socsci classmate last sem who I just chanced upon before we went in to watch, who was sitting beside me, and cry. Hahaha The play was such an experience I can't get enough of and I can't believe I just made a post about it now.
---
Shite I better start writing this short reaction paper and get my ass to bed because I still have a shoot around 10:30am tomorrow aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. And I'm attending the 8:30am Archaeo class so I can make it to that shoot.
3 Comments:
It doesn't matter to me if Kate has a kid (her and Michael Sheen's, i think?) coz she's still hot. She even said "Scott (Michael Corvin) is my and Len's (the director, who's her husband) pet" Hehe. And she also said that Scott might have tied "it" to his leg during their love scene (which was heavily cut here! :( )
Well I read that in the Inquirer so there. Hehe.
Of course Kate it still hot even with a kid but now I'm more bothered that the husband's the director hahaha. That's too funny.
well then blame the first Underworld movie (did you watch it?). They met and fell in love on the set of that film hehe.
Post a Comment
<< Home