12.10.2005

Woop sa riles

[Listening to: Hot Hot Heat's Talk To Me Dance With Me; Locos Por Juana's Embustera; OLP's Is Anybody Home?]

I was a good volunteer. I harassed as many people as I can. "Harassed" daw... hahaha. I told them all about RockEd, what we do, about the Millenium Development Goals, about Rock the Riles about the concert at Podium (where people are enjoying themselves right now, and I'm not, cos I have no way to go home, but I actually do it's just that I'm trying to make up for all the past-8pm times I went home this week-which was basically everyday.) It went like this:

Hi, here are some pamphlets *harasses them with pamphlets* if you want to know more about the 8 millenium development goals set by the UN. I'm from RockEd Philippines, it's like One.org of the US or End Poverty Now in the UK, it's No More Philippines, a group of volunteers who believe that there is still hope and we're celebrating human rights day and white band day today. That's why we're promoting the 8 MDGs in this station and 7 others where there are band performances. Here we have an on the spot mural painting. Later at 8 in Podium, there's going to be a free concert. Would you like to have a white band? *Hands out white jelly bracelet* If you want you can sign the manifesto or volunteer your time. We have different volunteers, like professors, students, working twentysomethings, media people, call center employees, artists etc etc and RockEd is basically helping uplift the society through education, we hope to do this by 2015.

Omg, I can't believe I said that to each and every person. Plus meron pang Free CD pitch na kasama diyan. And they tolerated it most of the time. Meaning they are interested.

Of course, there were a number of biznatches who didn't give a fuck and thought that we're just trying to rob them of their money. We weren't even asking donations and selling stuff in their face.

Some were really fun though. Some Mr. Dude Man was kinda chuckling to himself when I said, "Para sa mga naniniwalang may pag-asa pa Pilipinas," and I went, "Oo nga medyo nakakatawa no? Pero kung iisipin mo kaya talaga kung sama-sama." Somebody even went, "Talaga? Nasa Ayala Giniling Festival? Sayang, patapos na." I'd tell some people, "Oo nandun Radioactive Sago sa Ayala, bilisan mo umalis ka na. Habulin mo." One guy said he's going to a concert in La Salle and I go, "Wag na sa RockEd nalang." Some were like, "Wow, really? Okay we'll volunteer," "Madami akong kasama sa cooperative mga member ng NGO, sige sasali din ako." But I tell them we're not really an NGO, it's just a collection of volunteers. Kasi naman wala naman definite system, medyo magulo nga eh hahahaha But who cares? It was fun despite some mix ups. I'm glad we didn't have diva status/rockstar complexed bands/artists in our station.

It was all fun even if all the cameras were in North Ave station or something. Everybody forgot about me :( haha Joke lang, I don't really care. I had a lot of fun in my station and I told every person I could everything I knew... Or as much as time allowed them to anyway. Some people even let two trains or something pass because they really wanted to know about what all this blablabla is about.

I'm a good volunteer, really. I got some 10 people or something to sign the volunteer sheet on their own accord. I didn't force them to sign. Just told them that they can sign if they want to help volunteer their time, artworks, food, money, shelter, money, money, food okay I'm just kidding about the food-money-shelter.

Why am I doing all this reaffirming all of a sudden? Nothing really. I'm not overcompensating lol. I just wanted to rant about it.

Do you want the filipino and taglish versions of my pitch?

Big thanks to Julie who came, even though she probably is not going to be able to read this.

No more excuses, Philippines.

(If you wanna buy the RockEd shirt that says "No more excuses Philippines" link on the front, ym me: amlcortez)

1 Comments:

Blogger Spife said...

come on pitch it to me. hehe.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

you have only an essence

AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

a sense of rootlessness

Powered by Blogger