Bryn Mawr Brings News
This just in. I just received a decision notification from Bryn Mawr College. Doom doom doom dooooom. Guess what...? Before that, here is a recap of the other colleges I applied to so far, in order of application.
University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA - Accepted
Northeastern University Boston, MA - Accepted
Swarthmore College Swarthmore, PA - No Decision Yet
Duke University Durham, NC - Decision Due For Release On March 30
Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr, PA - WAITLISTED
Yep. I read that right. You read that right. I have been waitlisted by my already beloved Bryn Mawr. Probably has something to do with my mediocre verbal SAT score of 650 (but a math score of 650 is already high, basing on the middle 50% of Bryn Mawr students' SAT scores). What, is it my GPA?
It has probably something to do with the grades. Or is it that I already love the school so much that it's so hard to believe?
So I e-mailed them, counting myself in for the waitlist and including a short explanation of my obsession with the school (just kidding). I already have USC... but I don't have financial aid opportunities there. There's only one and I can only avail of it after one year. I am definitely out in the scholarship category as well because, let's face it, I am not in the top 1-2%, nor 3-4% of the SAT and I don't have a GPA of (converted to our grading system in Pisay) 1.0 - 1.4
I'd be able to study in USC with the combined forces of my parent's trust fund for my bratty little brother (or the interest the account gets each year which is just enough to pay for my board and lodging), my aunt's pocket and her childless-ness, student loans (the greatest force of them all) and work (which I guess I am going to stress over at times but enjoy nonetheless).
I have a chance in getting a pseudo financial aid/slash/scholarship starting on my 2nd year there but with student loans, I would still have to slave over my job 1-25 years after graduation (depending on how much I earn and what loan plan I take, hahaha).
But I have a very good chance in getting a scholarship from Northeastern because, well, their criteria are not that high. I mean, you can get a full scholarship 1200++ in the SAT. Yeah. That is, I hope they consider me for scholarship.
So, yeah. I probably don't even have any chance in getting accepted to Swarthmore, let alone Duke!, now that I got waitlisted by Bryn Mawr.
*sigh*
Yep. I read that right. You read that right. I have been waitlisted by my already beloved Bryn Mawr. Probably has something to do with my mediocre verbal SAT score of 650 (but a math score of 650 is already high, basing on the middle 50% of Bryn Mawr students' SAT scores). What, is it my GPA?
It has probably something to do with the grades. Or is it that I already love the school so much that it's so hard to believe?
So I e-mailed them, counting myself in for the waitlist and including a short explanation of my obsession with the school (just kidding). I already have USC... but I don't have financial aid opportunities there. There's only one and I can only avail of it after one year. I am definitely out in the scholarship category as well because, let's face it, I am not in the top 1-2%, nor 3-4% of the SAT and I don't have a GPA of (converted to our grading system in Pisay) 1.0 - 1.4
I'd be able to study in USC with the combined forces of my parent's trust fund for my bratty little brother (or the interest the account gets each year which is just enough to pay for my board and lodging), my aunt's pocket and her childless-ness, student loans (the greatest force of them all) and work (which I guess I am going to stress over at times but enjoy nonetheless).
I have a chance in getting a pseudo financial aid/slash/scholarship starting on my 2nd year there but with student loans, I would still have to slave over my job 1-25 years after graduation (depending on how much I earn and what loan plan I take, hahaha).
But I have a very good chance in getting a scholarship from Northeastern because, well, their criteria are not that high. I mean, you can get a full scholarship 1200++ in the SAT. Yeah. That is, I hope they consider me for scholarship.
So, yeah. I probably don't even have any chance in getting accepted to Swarthmore, let alone Duke!, now that I got waitlisted by Bryn Mawr.
*sigh*
2 Comments:
It's really hard to get undergrad scholarships if you're an international student. I applied to 7 schools, and so far, I've only heard from two - I got rejected at Texas A&M, and accepted at American University in D.C., but w/out a scholarship. Georgetown was unable to grant me an interview, and I took that as a negative sign. I don't even know if the University of Maryland got my check because they haven't charged it yet.
My only hope right now is Mt. Holyoke, and the results will be out on April 1. My parents think getting a loan is out of the question, since they don't want me to start my career paying debts. At first I was really bent on studying there for college, but now I think that studying here won't be so bad after all. But they said that I should definitely get my graduate degree abroad, because it's much easier to get scholarships by then, and they'll start saving up for it. Wala lang, I just wanted to share.
I guess the only people who aren't having trouble are Emzo and Martin. Too bad we don't have their intellectual ability. I think getting waitlisted isn't so bad, at least it's better than actual rejection.:) Good luck, AM.
- Carla
Yes, it definitely is hard to get scholarships over there... even financial aid. I've come to realize studying here is not bad too but then, all the trouble and all the work makes me want to continue pursuing undergrad there. THanks :D
Post a Comment
<< Home