2.10.2005

Jian Wen and Zhiao Wei and Movies

I watched 3/4 of the AXN Chinese New Year Movie Marathon today. I got home at around 1:00pm, an hour late for So Close. I've seen it already anyway. Only thing is that, I got to see Zhiao Wei less (she's the younger sister, Sue, in the movie). She's very pretty and there's just this something about her. Waaah, ang ganda ganda niya.

Okay, I'll snap out of my short lesbian moment there.

So Close is one of my favourite movies. Ever. The next two movies after So Close shown in the movie marathon this afternoon are now included in my all time faves. Those two movies are: Missing Gun and Warriors of Heaven and Earth.

I admit to being in tears when Sue was burying her video cam with a running footage of Lynn's dead body in So Close. And I admit to crying in the last scene of Missing Gun, the more dramatic parts that lead to the credits after Jian Wen's character got shot (the flashback of getting his last secret look at his wife and son). Missing Gun seems like a simple story but is actually more than that. The plot and twists are very good, the characters well played... Only it becomes depressing near the end.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth has awesome cinematography and plot. The desert footages remind me of Hidalgo. hehe The story is actually a very good one although the ending kinda leaves you hanging... And it's depressing (why does the relic of Sakyamuni have to have its own life??? Why couldn't they just have opened the relic of Sakyamuni so it can destroy the enemies by itself??? Why???) Jian Wen is the main character there too. He's my new favourite actor. hehe (Uhm, alongside Brad Pitt hehe) And Zhiao Wei's in that movie too. She's really pretty. Wahehehehe...

Something all three have in common is that they're not your typical all-the-good-guys win. They've got this pretty sad, why-the-hell-did-that-have-to-happen kind of ending. Some good happens in the end but it's the gloomy, depressing, at-least-some-form-of-greater-good-was-achieved kind of good ending.

All these movies reminded me of all the other movies out there that I like so much. So, prepare to be bored by AM's list of her all time favourite movies (now in alphabetical order):

  • Casino
  • Collateral (The character development here, the characters themselves and their portrayal are awesome.)
  • Fight Club
  • Gladiator
  • Kung Fu Hustle
  • Missing Gun
  • National Treasure
  • Ocean's 11
  • Snatch
  • So Close
  • The Beach
  • The Godfather series
  • The Last Samurai
  • The Terminal
  • The Usual Suspects (I'll treat anybody who gives me a copy of this or Donnie Darko a life-time supply of coffee.)
  • Troy (The cinematography, the sets, the acting are all great.. Really, just those. *shifty eyes*)
  • Warriors of Heaven and Earth
  • Water World
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the first version)

    Among all these, my favourite style of movie (in terms of cinematography and general plot/layouting of the story) would have to be the ones similar to Snatch, Missing Gun and Kung Fu Histle. While I think The Usual Suspect has the best plot (and plot twists) among all these. I'm a sucker for awesome sets like Troy's and awesome plots and plot twists. They're all pretty much similar to each other to some degree. Willy Wonka's a little out of place there though, methinks.

    And these are not exactly favourites of mine but those that are worth watching if you have nothing to do, no longer in alphabetical order:

    + Taxi
    + Shanghai Knights/Noon
    + Bourne Identity
    + Bubble Boy
    + Interview With A Vampire (actually really good)
    + Seven Deadly Sins... or something about the seven deadly sins, I forgot the exact title, it's very good too.
    + The Recruit
    + Blue Crush (It's not all that great but I love the feel of the movie.)
    + Stark Raving Mad
    + Mel Gibson's The Patriot
    + Analyze This
    + Analyze That
    + The Crew (This is hilarious)
    + The Perfect Score
    + Spring Break Lawyer
    + About A Boy
    + Master and Commander
    + Mr. Deeds
    + After The Sunset (despite the saucy Salma Hayek-Pierce Brosnan scenes)
    + Meet Joe Black

    And some chick flicks that are actually good. I assure you.

    + Sweet Home Alabama
    + Legally Blonde 1
    + What A Girl Wants (Amanda Bynes was really funny here.)
    + Princess Diaries 1 and 2 (Funny ones too.)

    It's such a shame that I haven't watched a bunch of other movies that are probably going to end up in my fave list. Some of them are: Lost In Translation, A Clockwork Orange (which for some reason I think I've already seen but am not sure), DONNIE DARKO (where the hell do I get a copy of this???).

    I might look like some huge fan of movies but I'm actually not. I just realized that this must be the effect of watching too much HBO. Oh, and I'm easily pleased by movies. I'm not too picky about them, but I don't pick just anything and everything.

    I called Remika and asked to borrow Platoon and Euro Trip from her. I borrowed Deer Hunter from her but it just won't play in any DVD player I put it in. Tomorrow I might watch A Very Long Engagement. And I might buy a bunch of VCDs because they're on sale at SM and Video City. Or I can go pick up a something on regular price at AstroVision (Which reminds me, the day before my first SAT I, I ran to the mall, went to AstroVision and got a copy of Perfect Score because I felt the urge to watch it.)

    I want to watch a bunch of these chinese movies shot mostly in Hong Kong. Like that trilogy that involved chinese gangs and the HK triad. There are a bunch of other very good Chinese movies out there. I can just feel it in my bones. I'm better off watching Japanese movies though, since I can understand them even just a little. At least I wouldn't have to glue my eyes on the subtitle for the most part.

    But I think we develop this certain 'skill' of getting to watch the whole thing WHILE reading the subtitle.

  • 4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oh come on.you're prettier than zhao wei.

    8:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uy mahilig ka sa mga pelikulang gangsteerrr. :D

    Panalo ang A Clockwork Orange.

    Napanood mo na ba ang Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels? Ayus din yun :)


    Wala lang. Hindi ko napigilang magcomment kasi puro pelikula!!! At paborito ko rin ang Godfather, Snatch at Fight Club. Whooo :D

    Yun lang hehe

    10:22 AM  
    Blogger Byeong said...

    Faye: No Faye. No. Lesbiana na ko, sige na. Pero Zhao Wei parin. wahaha

    Joyce: Di ko pa napapanood Lock Stock... kulang sa d/vcd resources. hahaha

    Yay to Snatch, Fight Club, and Godfather!

    1:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    zhao wei ka na... nakama yukie naman ako eh.

    dammit. now you know i read your blog...

    did you get the title of the song at the end by the way? i couldn't.

    8:51 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

    you have only an essence

    AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

    you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

    a sense of rootlessness

    Powered by Blogger