6.04.2004

Lessons on the Internet and Other Superficial Matters

None of my queer, unadventurous adventures today. Yesterday though after some time online I logged off to see some stuff as an errand in the mall. Then I hopped on into the other mall in front of it to drop by the coffee shop. There was much more people than I thought (much more being half the place is filled) so I just went to get my now-regular dose of cold drink and relocated to a small bakeshop. I was looking to get some cake when I realized I'd go have a lasagna instead. That was it. I ate. I drank. I read. Then I went back home.

So let me rant again about my endless idiot thoughts on fads. The following would be a classic, relativist view of mine again. So expect the confusing two-sides-to-a-coin deal.

You see, there are different kinds of fads. Most of the fads I talk about and am bothered with are the fast-paced, temporary fashion fads. Not only some of them look annoying to me, they are often high-priced and rob the society. Have you ever tried to buy something a month later or weeks later just to find that its price has increased because apparently, many people are buying it. The media (read TRL or MTV, and this local TV show about fanatics) sells these stuff to children and often times they just buy it right away. They don't even think for themselves.

Wrong.

They still do think. And it's just that they decided to go with the flow to fit in. Fitting in seems to be such a necessity. I don't blame people for trying to fit in. Heck, we all try to fit in. Let's just say some people conform with the nonconformists. So I find it a little odd when some people say, "I am different from all of you." Well not really. If you place him in a sea of people who say the same then he isn't so different at all.

It just so happens that today's MTV generation is patterning, not only what they wear but, how they act, what they do, how they think and what they listen to, after what is presented before them on TV and in magazines. It just so happens that it appeals to so many people. It just so happens that they have chosen to go with today's pop culture.

So let's say I somehow understand how these people think and what they think. But still, even though I see what's on the otherside and actually think it forgiveable. I still get annoyed. It's human nature I guess. But for the most part, it's just me.

Meh.

Computers are a fad. Wanting the next hi-tech gadget is a fad. Reading fantasy novels is a fad. I conform to many other fads. It's just that those fads are none of these often senseless, temporary fashion fads. And it is those that I hate. When I talk about people I see, I know that they are somehow victims of these fads because I came from these exclusive schools and have observed it long before. I can partly say I've been there, done that, though not entirely. There's someone else who deserves more mention, someone that can really say she's been there and done that. ;) How come I claim to know? Because I was from an exclusive school and knew some people who're like that. I've talked to them about those and even debated about those with them. They're the ones who you see change their whole wardrobes in synch with the 'come and go' of (fashion) fads. They're the ones who dress to impress, who act to impress. They're the ones who smoke because everybody's doing it. The ones who hop from relationship to relationship because it's cool. It sounds sickening, doesn't it? I'm sure we all know what I'm talking about.

It's funny since one of my friends now do follow some of these fads. :p Y'know, thick plastic bangles, large plastic hoop earrings, etc. We tease her about it and well, it's amusing. She says she just had to dress up a bit for that particular time.

Maybe I just felt so moved by someone else, that's why I'm writing this blog. Maybe I was really thinking of writing about this. Or maybe I was meant to write about this. Nobody's perfect. When I was 12 or 13 I was probably a part of this pop-culture-brainwashed kids/youth. But now, no. These things just don't appeal to me anymore and when I rant/talk/etc I talk about things at present (no use talking about things that have passed or of that yet to come). Things mostly of a different, less popular culture appeal to me now, maybe. And I'm quite sure I can say that those particular things are a fad in that culture/sub-culture. But looking at things in a general perspective, where pop culture is the ultimate gauge (it seems) it's not a fad. Do you understand...? Somehow, I hope.

That's what blogs are for. For you to vent out feelings anyway you want. After all, it's your own little virtual space. It's the internet. You are bound to meet people who think different than you. It's the Internet, I know, but I'd say that I've already explored and "met" a wide variety of people. And through that, I have learned to respect each and every one of their opinions though it may hurt doing so. But now, no. It no longer hurts my pride or whatever crap to bend, bow down and accept because I understand the many differences there are between two people. In fact, it gives you a boost to know that you are open minded. So there. It may not look like it, since I now usually dwell on just one side of things, but I am in deed open-minded. It's just that I have gradually gotten out of the habit of seeing things in a relativist's point of view. Apart from the fact that in life, we are only to choose one among others (and I am trying to practice becoming grounded on just one at each time), I admit that sometimes it gets pretty confusing listing down your relativist opinions. ;) haha

Another thing that the internet is subjective. When you read of one's opinions then you shouldn't think that they are generalizing or are being objective, unless they state so. They maybe generalizing but are generalizing a certain people, with given cases. In that case, what they say may just be rational. It's always a give and take relationship also. Don't go talking about how someone is so close minded and are generalizing other people he doesn't know. But how do you know if that person are not familiar with the certain people he is talking about? Right? ;) Then you jolly are generalizing him as well if you say so. *sigh* I've studied the dynamics of these think-before-you-act kinda things long before. Both online and offline. In fact, I even had to learn it the hard way during my younger days.

So... Last message: It's the Internet. Beware, you might just get owned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

you have only an essence

AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

a sense of rootlessness

Powered by Blogger