4.19.2006

Taking French now. And German or Portugese?

Not that anybody might care but this is no longer the Adventures Of A Cultured Dirtbag but Last Life In The Universe. Yes, I knicked the movie title. Just because I don't have anything else and frankly, there are no adventures happening atm. Heh.

On an update, sadly, my Italian 11 class got dissolved :( So I had to take another foreign language class. I just chose a later time slot cos I realized I won't be able to wake up early enough everyday for a 9am class and commute to school :p And if I'm gonna drive, I certainly don't prefer to drive amidst heavy traffic. Soooo... I'm now taking French 10.

It's a huge challenge and it's actually been... fun. Because I'm one of the few who get the pronunciations immediately. However, I suck at the whole listen-and-write thing, although we haven't fully gone into that.

Everytime all these nasals and seemingly gutteral R's come up I feel like screaming. But since I can't I've resorted to making faces. Yeah... Too bad almost everybody else can see me making faces cos all the seats are against the walls of the room so there's a square formation with a space in the middle.

So you might be able to guess what happened when I got home... I watched the French channel on TV, TV3 World (I think), and screamed every 3 minutes or so cos of frustration. Ah, we all go through it at first when studying a new language. I might take the "just listen and repeat and find the meaning route then focus on theory later" because that's how we pretty much learn our native languages right? And our prof sort of suggested it saying, just try to get the pronunciations and don't analyze too much first.

Speaking of all these throaty R's, I feel like mine sound more gutteral or you can say more German (haha just kidding). But I think I have the most authentic sounding "Qu'est-ce que ca veut dire?" next to our teacher. Hahaha I swear I can repeat that question over and over again it just rolls off the tongue real smoothly. And I actually say R, as an alphabet, alone alright. So I can repeat that over and over again I guess.

So yes, even though I was a bit sad that my Italian class got cancelled and I was planning to take French later on, it's alright I guess. Who knows, I might get so used to French I might decide taking up to Intermediate :D (Intermediate is 12-13, just checked.) As for Italian... I have a basic-intermmediate book and since I already have a primer on it I think I can carry on from there.

Although of course, the only way one can truly be fluent is if you stay in a place where that language is spoken. Or stay with people who speak that language.

And I'm taking German 10-11 in my first sem. Hahaha If there's a Portugese 10-11 though I'm taking that. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Spife said...

wow, i'm glad your tongue ain't aching from all those different enunciations and all. just a couple more languages and you'll be a female C3P0. just kidding.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


LAYOUT IMAGE from AllStars-Online.Net with Kate Moss from a Rolling Stone mag shoot. All words from David Coupland's Shampoo Planet, Chapter 1.

you have only an essence

AM likes breakfasts and cooking pasta; can run solely on fruit shakes, green tea, and soy milk for a whole day; watches Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Adult Swim, Coupling, Less Than Perfect, reality tv crap, PRISON BREAK, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, blablabla; listens to alot of electro/electropop, britpop, alt, and an odd assortment of pop acts; reads Pahlaniuk, Douglas Adams, Douglas Coupland, JD Salinger and other stuff like Martin Amis, Alex Garland, Matthew McIntosh; 's favourite books are Catcher In The Rye, Well, Eleanor Rigby, Olivia Joules, Non-fiction, Hitchhiker's Guide, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower; watches a load of movies and some of her favourites are Fight Club, Jeux d'Enfants, Amelie, Life Aquatic, Godfather, Collateral, Wag The Dog, The Terminal, Requiem for a Dream, Mickey Blue Eyes, Lost In Translation, Central Station, The Last Samurai, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Snatch, etc. AM likes boring people with details on this site.

you're all potential, waiting to be rewritten

a sense of rootlessness

Powered by Blogger