Pro-Filipino Sentiments, the English language and evil eggplants from hell
Something I posted as a comment in Zo's blog.
There are positive forms of revolting and I agree. I don't get how entirely anti-Philippines Filipinos exist. How come they can't love their own countries? (Or maybe I do get it... but I don't want to go into the details of what I think. heh Too long.) I guess many Filipinos lack confidence in their own country and we can't really blame them, with how things are going on in the government and all. But I guess the thing there is that we have to be confident about ourselves and what we can do to help this country because, being democratic after all, we are the ones who really choose what happens to this country. And I'm not just saying we should do endless rallies and waste away in the streets. We have to come up with solutions and actually carry them out.
From how the mentality of most Filipinos are in the recent years, especially the younger bunch and the not-so-along-ago young, the future is looking good. I believe there is an awakening happening to and greater realizations being conceived by today's society.
So folks, you can quote me when years later the 00's is called the period of another renaissance in the society. Huahaha.
Hardcore makabayans would probably tie me to a coconut tree and burn me with coals because my major language used in writing is English. Why did I come up with this? Because I was reading this Ang Pagturo ng Kasaysayan sa Pilipino (Teaching History in Filipino) article from our SocSci 1 class (which is taught entirely in Filipino). So now I get why we have to use Filipino as a medium of instruction. Our teacher, albeit, perhaps, an avid user of the English language as well, chooses to teach in Filipino in an effort to raise pro-Filipino sentiments among her students.
I am not against the idea but the said article repeatedly points at avid fans of the English language as "nagayuma ng kolonyal at dayuhang blablabla." And it even categorized "mamayan ng mundo" with the nagauymas. *Cue: AM starts to roll around laughing* Seriously... mamayan ng mundo = global citizen = what I like to call myself. But I can't blame this Mr. Doctor Salazar Dude because this article was written in 1970-71.
In this age we now have an increasingly borderless world. Choosing to be a "global citizen" or being an avid user of English doesn't, and shouldn't, make you less of a Filipino, despite what the article says about tunay na kalinangan ng kulturang Pilipino (true enrichment and embrace of the Filipino culture and identity... or something). It's not like we don't speak in Filipino, we do. We just find it easier to express ourselves in English because it was the medium of instruction we were raised with anyway. And besides, most kids raised in the internet age get used to speaking in English because of forums and all. How the hell do you expect them to interact with people in multinationed forums? And how do we comment on blogs of people of other nationalities? Your best bet to being understood by a Czech or a Malaysian or an Irish online is by using English. Duh. Latin's dead, remember? :D
Just because we choose to use English and think it will help boost global competetiveness doesn't mean we can't be wholly Filipino. The truth that English is the most widely used language can't be replaced at the moment (unless everybody decides to learn Chinese). We have to accept that doing business with other countries and conversing with people of other nationalities in Filipino would be very hard because the world speaks English. I guess English serves the world like how the Filipino language serves the Filipino people - we need a common language so that we can understand each other despite our differences in our vernacular language.
I guess who the article's really pointing at are the Filipinos who can't bloody speak their own language even though they were raised here in the Philippines. Now that deserves another blindingly long post. (Or one acid-spitting sentence.)
Hindi ko naman siguro kailangang itranslate 'tong buong post na 'to sa Filipino no? Hahaha
(Just a thought... Dr. Salazar must be cringing at the new "version" of the Filipino language, which is very anglisized. What the fuck is up with the word "vekeyshun"? Can't they just keep the Filipino word for vacation as bakasyon?)
On another note... today we had a block sportsfest and I had PE. Sportsfest was fun. I don't want to see an eggplant ever again because of the talong relay. Walang hiyang talong yan. And for PE we just had preliminaries which included sit-ups, push-ups (and pull ups for the guys) and wall traverse. Of course, I failed miserably at the wall traverse. I'd have to wear sneakers next time because my rubber shoes just can't get good foot holds.
There are positive forms of revolting and I agree. I don't get how entirely anti-Philippines Filipinos exist. How come they can't love their own countries? (Or maybe I do get it... but I don't want to go into the details of what I think. heh Too long.) I guess many Filipinos lack confidence in their own country and we can't really blame them, with how things are going on in the government and all. But I guess the thing there is that we have to be confident about ourselves and what we can do to help this country because, being democratic after all, we are the ones who really choose what happens to this country. And I'm not just saying we should do endless rallies and waste away in the streets. We have to come up with solutions and actually carry them out.
From how the mentality of most Filipinos are in the recent years, especially the younger bunch and the not-so-along-ago young, the future is looking good. I believe there is an awakening happening to and greater realizations being conceived by today's society.
So folks, you can quote me when years later the 00's is called the period of another renaissance in the society. Huahaha.
Hardcore makabayans would probably tie me to a coconut tree and burn me with coals because my major language used in writing is English. Why did I come up with this? Because I was reading this Ang Pagturo ng Kasaysayan sa Pilipino (Teaching History in Filipino) article from our SocSci 1 class (which is taught entirely in Filipino). So now I get why we have to use Filipino as a medium of instruction. Our teacher, albeit, perhaps, an avid user of the English language as well, chooses to teach in Filipino in an effort to raise pro-Filipino sentiments among her students.
I am not against the idea but the said article repeatedly points at avid fans of the English language as "nagayuma ng kolonyal at dayuhang blablabla." And it even categorized "mamayan ng mundo" with the nagauymas. *Cue: AM starts to roll around laughing* Seriously... mamayan ng mundo = global citizen = what I like to call myself. But I can't blame this Mr. Doctor Salazar Dude because this article was written in 1970-71.
In this age we now have an increasingly borderless world. Choosing to be a "global citizen" or being an avid user of English doesn't, and shouldn't, make you less of a Filipino, despite what the article says about tunay na kalinangan ng kulturang Pilipino (true enrichment and embrace of the Filipino culture and identity... or something). It's not like we don't speak in Filipino, we do. We just find it easier to express ourselves in English because it was the medium of instruction we were raised with anyway. And besides, most kids raised in the internet age get used to speaking in English because of forums and all. How the hell do you expect them to interact with people in multinationed forums? And how do we comment on blogs of people of other nationalities? Your best bet to being understood by a Czech or a Malaysian or an Irish online is by using English. Duh. Latin's dead, remember? :D
Just because we choose to use English and think it will help boost global competetiveness doesn't mean we can't be wholly Filipino. The truth that English is the most widely used language can't be replaced at the moment (unless everybody decides to learn Chinese). We have to accept that doing business with other countries and conversing with people of other nationalities in Filipino would be very hard because the world speaks English. I guess English serves the world like how the Filipino language serves the Filipino people - we need a common language so that we can understand each other despite our differences in our vernacular language.
I guess who the article's really pointing at are the Filipinos who can't bloody speak their own language even though they were raised here in the Philippines. Now that deserves another blindingly long post. (Or one acid-spitting sentence.)
Hindi ko naman siguro kailangang itranslate 'tong buong post na 'to sa Filipino no? Hahaha
(Just a thought... Dr. Salazar must be cringing at the new "version" of the Filipino language, which is very anglisized. What the fuck is up with the word "vekeyshun"? Can't they just keep the Filipino word for vacation as bakasyon?)
On another note... today we had a block sportsfest and I had PE. Sportsfest was fun. I don't want to see an eggplant ever again because of the talong relay. Walang hiyang talong yan. And for PE we just had preliminaries which included sit-ups, push-ups (and pull ups for the guys) and wall traverse. Of course, I failed miserably at the wall traverse. I'd have to wear sneakers next time because my rubber shoes just can't get good foot holds.
1 Comments:
uyy... ilink mo rin yung hanging stranger...
Post a Comment
<< Home