Hope for the future (this post is actually more intelligent than it sounds, hrmm... :D)
I used to have no hope for the Philippine's future. What with the rampant corruption, anti-technology oldies holding seats of power and apathetic, too patriotic, unmotivated, wrongly motivated OR undisciplined citizens with a bunch of other negative traits. But all that changed.
Today's discussion in Economics class about Importing->Nationalism (Think Filipino First or Buy Filipino)->Globalization reminded me of how much the country is changing already. What my friend's rather overqualified driver said about the Filipino people somehow gives hope and inspiration as well:
"Kung ipapakita lang ang tamang daan sa ating mga Pilipino, uunlad tayo. Pagnakita naman natin ang tamang daan ay susunod na diyan ang pagbabago sa mga attitude at pamamaraan natin." (If only we are shown the right path then a change in attitude and ways will follow, eventually leading us to success.)
Now, I believe that a large, significant number (if not already most of the population) of this country's people are changing. We are now concentrating our energies in things we have advantage in instead of dwelling in our negativities. Corruption can never be totally eradicated from this country but at least, those who are next in line to various positions of power are those willing to embrace technology and move forward towards a united country which is in oneness with the rest of the world at the same time.
Nationalism doesn't mean we have to stick only to ourselves or things of our own. Foreign influences are inevitable and can sometimes be good for us. We should be open to what the "outside" has to offer while trying to locally develop as well. We don't have to cut ties with the rest of the planet. We are now living in a borderless world and everyday, more and more people realize that. Everyday, it is more evident. Again, we should not be afraid. Blurring the lines between countries and peoples will not make them lose their identities or lessen the distinction between each culture.
It will only be for the better to live in harmony amidst the diversity. We cannot take away nor ignore all our differences. Instead of having wars and genocides spring from it then why don't we just learn how to live with it? If you try to look a few years back and compare that time with what is on about now, you'll notice that that's what slowly happening.
After all, what if a bee hive only has queen bees (let's just say it is possible to have more than one queen at the same time, despite the laws of nature)... who will work then? Can the human body function with only reproductive cells? Of course not. So specialization/diversity AND coexistence is good. Sorry if I killed everything with my nature-related examples but I hope you get my idea. Hindi tayo mabubuhay kung pareparehas tayo, madaming kailangan gawin at hindi tayo matatapos kung pareparehas lang tayo ng ginagawa.
We cannot improve in all goods production and services in which we are poor, and we cannot be wholly self-sufficient. As a classmate of mine said this afternoon in our class discussion, "We should stop thinking of competing with the US in producing goods of the same calibre as theirs if we ours is of low quality. US 'yan eh... They're like the number one country at the moment." And like what another classmate said, "We should concentrate on things we have advantages in," ...and live with having to import from abroad. Globalization is what the future holds and we have no other way to improve but to move forward. Whether you take a direct step forward, diagonally to the side, or run around in loops, chances are you're still moving forward.
When I read Patricia Evangelista's speech on a borderless world I instantly fell in love with it. It's the kind that sends chills down your spine, in a good way that is. You get to see what we're approaching and hear about a way to approach it. And it was well put together.
A borderless world. Doesn't that sound nice? We have only to step forward. And please, leave the nuclear weapons behind. :)
*** Oh, and of course, I'm not saying that this is the way to absolute peace as well. I don't believe that absolute peace can be attained and won't believe until we actually do attain it (chances are way-below-sea-level low ;)). I see violence or whatever non-peaceful measures as an evil that will always be there. Not that I'm saying it's a totally necessary evil but sometimes we just need it to open our eyes and realize things we have to do. If the Spaniards didn't conquer us for what seemed like forever, do you think the Filipino people would have become as united? If Flo from the Amazing Race didn't nag 98.598450349% of the duration of the race, do you think she and the somewhat passive Zach would have won?
But I may be wrong. All I'm saying is that a borderless world is not a ticket to world peace and elimination of poverty. Besides, there will always be poverty as well. I mean, just imagine how bad it would be if everybody were rich and had money? Do the cognitive/economic and affective calculations. ;)
-----
And, if you were lucky enough to read up to this point (or chance upon this bit), I have 47 more Gmail invites left. Leave a comment with your email address if you want an invite.
Today's discussion in Economics class about Importing->Nationalism (Think Filipino First or Buy Filipino)->Globalization reminded me of how much the country is changing already. What my friend's rather overqualified driver said about the Filipino people somehow gives hope and inspiration as well:
"Kung ipapakita lang ang tamang daan sa ating mga Pilipino, uunlad tayo. Pagnakita naman natin ang tamang daan ay susunod na diyan ang pagbabago sa mga attitude at pamamaraan natin." (If only we are shown the right path then a change in attitude and ways will follow, eventually leading us to success.)
Now, I believe that a large, significant number (if not already most of the population) of this country's people are changing. We are now concentrating our energies in things we have advantage in instead of dwelling in our negativities. Corruption can never be totally eradicated from this country but at least, those who are next in line to various positions of power are those willing to embrace technology and move forward towards a united country which is in oneness with the rest of the world at the same time.
Nationalism doesn't mean we have to stick only to ourselves or things of our own. Foreign influences are inevitable and can sometimes be good for us. We should be open to what the "outside" has to offer while trying to locally develop as well. We don't have to cut ties with the rest of the planet. We are now living in a borderless world and everyday, more and more people realize that. Everyday, it is more evident. Again, we should not be afraid. Blurring the lines between countries and peoples will not make them lose their identities or lessen the distinction between each culture.
It will only be for the better to live in harmony amidst the diversity. We cannot take away nor ignore all our differences. Instead of having wars and genocides spring from it then why don't we just learn how to live with it? If you try to look a few years back and compare that time with what is on about now, you'll notice that that's what slowly happening.
After all, what if a bee hive only has queen bees (let's just say it is possible to have more than one queen at the same time, despite the laws of nature)... who will work then? Can the human body function with only reproductive cells? Of course not. So specialization/diversity AND coexistence is good. Sorry if I killed everything with my nature-related examples but I hope you get my idea. Hindi tayo mabubuhay kung pareparehas tayo, madaming kailangan gawin at hindi tayo matatapos kung pareparehas lang tayo ng ginagawa.
We cannot improve in all goods production and services in which we are poor, and we cannot be wholly self-sufficient. As a classmate of mine said this afternoon in our class discussion, "We should stop thinking of competing with the US in producing goods of the same calibre as theirs if we ours is of low quality. US 'yan eh... They're like the number one country at the moment." And like what another classmate said, "We should concentrate on things we have advantages in," ...and live with having to import from abroad. Globalization is what the future holds and we have no other way to improve but to move forward. Whether you take a direct step forward, diagonally to the side, or run around in loops, chances are you're still moving forward.
When I read Patricia Evangelista's speech on a borderless world I instantly fell in love with it. It's the kind that sends chills down your spine, in a good way that is. You get to see what we're approaching and hear about a way to approach it. And it was well put together.
A borderless world. Doesn't that sound nice? We have only to step forward. And please, leave the nuclear weapons behind. :)
*** Oh, and of course, I'm not saying that this is the way to absolute peace as well. I don't believe that absolute peace can be attained and won't believe until we actually do attain it (chances are way-below-sea-level low ;)). I see violence or whatever non-peaceful measures as an evil that will always be there. Not that I'm saying it's a totally necessary evil but sometimes we just need it to open our eyes and realize things we have to do. If the Spaniards didn't conquer us for what seemed like forever, do you think the Filipino people would have become as united? If Flo from the Amazing Race didn't nag 98.598450349% of the duration of the race, do you think she and the somewhat passive Zach would have won?
But I may be wrong. All I'm saying is that a borderless world is not a ticket to world peace and elimination of poverty. Besides, there will always be poverty as well. I mean, just imagine how bad it would be if everybody were rich and had money? Do the cognitive/economic and affective calculations. ;)
-----
And, if you were lucky enough to read up to this point (or chance upon this bit), I have 47 more Gmail invites left. Leave a comment with your email address if you want an invite.
2 Comments:
Patricia Evangelista is right.. and so is your classmate.. and so is your friend's driver.. and so are you. (He he. :D)
Nationalism doesn't necessarily mean confining oneself with his own and not being open to the world. We could gain a lot from these foreign influences if only we learn how to bring the good ones here in the country and use it as a tool to develop our own. There's nothing to lose anyway. Trying to embrace these foreign influnces does not make us lose our identities at all, rather it forms "harmony in diversity" that would bring the nations closer. We could still cultivate our culture despite these beneficial modern advances. I say bring them in and, at the same time, bring out some. Show the world what we're made of. Ang masama is magiging open tayo sa iba at kakalimutan ang sariling atin. Let's not make our nationalistic pride be a set back and be the major root of our country's downfall. We should learn how to coexist with other countries in this "borderless world" while still keeping the true spirit of our country alive. Globalization + Nationalism is a good combination. Hwag na nating subukan makipagcompete with other great nations and just focus on our strengths and on what we truly have to offer.
And I agree that we shouldn't dwell much on our negatives, rather we should look for a solution that would help take away all those negativity. Try to see the positives amidst all the negatives.
I hope every person in the country reads this entry. What they need a serious embracing reality check.
:D
P.S. I saw your the pictures you posted recently on your dA account (the one where you had your brother lie down on the street, haha). It's so cute! I like the 2nd picture because it looks real, like the car is about to run over him or something. His innate "acting skills" helped build emotions in the picture. I actually got a bit worried. He he. Very very nice. :)
Thanks for commenting and actually saying something. The thing with posting something like this in let's say, a forum like Peyup's is that it might create a large discussion. DIscussion is good but it's no longer that productive when people start bashing each other. Everythings destructive and things get bloody.
But thanks again (and for the photo comments hehehe) I do wish more and more people realize this.
Post a Comment
<< Home