Forgetting's a bitch
Tadaaa. I'm home after only 2 hours. I arrived at the mall 3 minutes after leaving, remembering that I forgot to bring the card where I wrote the credit card number and stuff. I decided I'd fill up the registration first and come back with the number. I went to the bookstore and searched to no avail, they didn't have a copy of the SAT II Biology reviewer. I looked around the magazine corner instead... they didn't have NatGeo but they had my usuals, Time and NewsWeek.
I found a photojournalism photo book featured in NewsWeek, iWitness by Tom Stoddart. It's a collection of black and white photos depicting poverty, anguish, and suffering. There was a photo of a cellist (complete with cello) in a cemetery mourning the death of a loved one that he took. It was such a strong, emotive piece that I wanted to cry on the spot.
So I was there, standing beside the rows of magazine, greedily and shamelessly reading the copy of NewsWeek I didn't plan to buy, teary-eyed while having an emotional moment. It was such a touching photo. Right then and there I felt that Tom Stoddart was my hero, despite that I only saw 2 photos of him. I think that's another great thing about it that makes it real... I can confidently and honestly say he's my hero despite that it was the first photo by him that I saw.
Here are photos by him
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart26.html (a graveyard one too but not the same one)
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart40.html (this one made me think... even if I might risk getting a disease or something I'd bathe these people with my bare hands rather than with surgical gloves)
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart01.html
You might not share the same sentiments but my opinions remain the same. I hope though that somehow, you feel something through his photos as well. So now my heroes are: Tom Stoddart, Gino dela Paz and the Dalai Lama. hehe :D
Before I came home I called here and asked Ate Cel, our house help, to look for that piece of card. At first she sent me a text message saying she can't find it. When I came home she said she already found it and texted me the credit card number. I didn't feel that I just wasted energy since I came home to eat as well anyway. I'm coming back later to finish my registration in a damned net cafe and to watch Shark Tale. And buy that NewsWeek issue perhaps.
I found a photojournalism photo book featured in NewsWeek, iWitness by Tom Stoddart. It's a collection of black and white photos depicting poverty, anguish, and suffering. There was a photo of a cellist (complete with cello) in a cemetery mourning the death of a loved one that he took. It was such a strong, emotive piece that I wanted to cry on the spot.
So I was there, standing beside the rows of magazine, greedily and shamelessly reading the copy of NewsWeek I didn't plan to buy, teary-eyed while having an emotional moment. It was such a touching photo. Right then and there I felt that Tom Stoddart was my hero, despite that I only saw 2 photos of him. I think that's another great thing about it that makes it real... I can confidently and honestly say he's my hero despite that it was the first photo by him that I saw.
Here are photos by him
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart26.html (a graveyard one too but not the same one)
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart40.html (this one made me think... even if I might risk getting a disease or something I'd bathe these people with my bare hands rather than with surgical gloves)
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/stoddart01.html
You might not share the same sentiments but my opinions remain the same. I hope though that somehow, you feel something through his photos as well. So now my heroes are: Tom Stoddart, Gino dela Paz and the Dalai Lama. hehe :D
Before I came home I called here and asked Ate Cel, our house help, to look for that piece of card. At first she sent me a text message saying she can't find it. When I came home she said she already found it and texted me the credit card number. I didn't feel that I just wasted energy since I came home to eat as well anyway. I'm coming back later to finish my registration in a damned net cafe and to watch Shark Tale. And buy that NewsWeek issue perhaps.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home